Swiss Miss scales the Swiss Alps

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Home Alone..

A pretty amusing scene happened while Mr Lim and I were at the airport pick-up area waiting for our parents. I received a call from Dad that they would be slighly delayed as one of their luggage was missing. So Mr Lim and I decided to wind down the windows and switch off the engine.

While waiting, I stuck my head out of the window hoping to catch them. Instead I saw this middle-age man with a polo T-shirt carrying a laptop bag walking out. After a while, I realised he was heading straight towards our car! My first reaction was to laugh to myself. He hurriedly opened the back car door and plunged himself onto the backseat of our car. I was getting hysterical at this point of time. I turned my head slightly and starting laughing at him. He was still oblivious of the situation until Mr Lim turned over and said to him, "Er, excuse me." It was then that he realised he got onto the wrong car. He gave a quick "Oops, sorry!", with that he hopped out of the car. I was laughing too hard to notice his facial expression. But I noticed him getting into a black Toyota Vios parked in front of our car. I guess the long flight must have caused his muddle-headedness; the inability to differentiate between black and blue, and a Vios and a Corolla.

I'm glad my parents are back. I've practically been the slave of the house for the past week, only going out one out of seven days to relax and unwind from the household chores. Despite that, things are not that bad actually. I feel like a housewife for the past week. A typical day goes like this: waking up early to prepare breakfast for my family members, putting the laundry into the washing machine, fetching brother to the MRT station, making my own breakfast, read newspapers, sweep the floor (I didn't know it takes so freaking long to sweep just one level), mop floor/wash toilet, take out the laundry for hanging, cook lunch (in the end, Granny was the one who did most of it), eat lunch, clean the kitchen, bathe, bring in the laundry, fold/iron the clothes, put the clothes into the respective wardrobes, REST and RELAX (watch 2 hours of korean drama), supposedly to cook dinner but I'm half-dead at this point of time so we'll end up buying dinner from outside, fetch brother from MRT station and then order takeaway, eat dinner, clean up table, wash the necessary dishes, throw garbage and FINALLY massive lockup of the house. Yes, I did all these 6 out of the 7 days that my parents were away. The initial days were tiring as being blessed with the luxury of having a maid, the pampared me hardly needed to lift a finger to do household chores. So having had to do the household chores is a real novelty to me. Funnily, I got a sense of accomplishment after cleaning up the house. I hate to admit this but it's the first time I've made a positive contribution to this family as I've practically been a good-for-nothing in this house.

Doing the household chores is not as difficult as I thought. It just seems to be a never ending job which would cause one to have aches all over if one does the job thoroughly. With that, I really salute all the maids and housewives out there. Even though its a brainless job, it's really a noble one. I'm beginning to appreciate my maid a lot now.

Oh yah, I didn't manage to accomplish what I aimed to achieve: cooking. Ironically, I mastered every household chore except that. I still have two more weeks to salvage that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home