Swiss Miss scales the Swiss Alps

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Friday, January 06, 2006

Schooling Again..

I'm back to being a student once more after having graduated more than 6 months ago. I've lost the momentum of having to put myself through studying, rushing for assignments, downloading lecture notes, jotting down notes etc. I've grown accustomed to the life of going home knowing that I can relax till the next morning. Given a choice, I would rather go back to teaching in the secondary school where I taught in for the past 4 months. Having compared my time there with my other peers who were posted to other secondary schools, my life was probably paradise in comparison to theirs. To think that I actually complained so much back then. Haha.

I always feel that learning takes place best outside the classroom. There's only so much that books can teach you. Hence, it will be most optimum to learn while on-the-job. A pity we would be assessed the only time we actually experience teaching during this course. Based on feedback from my previous colleauges and lecturers, the course I'm currently undergoing is too theory based, with little hands-on approaches. This is especially so with regards to classroom management. The textbooks provide us with details on how to tackle the different kinds of students. But whether it works is another story. In the end, it all boils down to experimentation. No single method would work for one kind of student. There are obviously useful parts of the courses. The most relevant would be the teachings of the subjects itself and communication skills. A pity these modules would only begin in late February.

I love the drive to my current institution. It is the only highlight of the trip to the school during this whole week. I love the long bends and windy roads of the PIE. Perhaps its the thrill I attain from speeding down these curvy roads, which is in stark contrast to that of the long stretch of straights on the ECP that I drive through while going to NUS. The only nuisance is road hoggers. It take a great amount of skill and guts to overtake them due to the nature of the road. I wish they would check their rear-view mirrors more often to see the massive jam they are causing on the extreme right lane. The most guilty parties? Taxi drivers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home