Swiss Miss scales the Swiss Alps

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Sunday, May 28, 2006

My Reflections..

Finally, the end of the semester has arrived. After the past 2 hectic months which was filled with assignments, presentations, group work and micro-teaching, I finally can breathe and sleep in peace, without having to think of the next thing to submit or do. I wouldn't mind doing things that are useful to my future teaching. There are some modules and work which I find absolutely redundant. I hate doing things that waste my time and are of no worth. But well, since I'm paid, I just have to do so willingly. Just hope that they will take our feedback seriously and make some improvements to the course for the future batches. Anyway despite those redundant stuff, I generally learnt a lot of pedagogies for the the teaching of English Language and Mathematics.

There are still many things for me to learn to become a more effective teacher. Firstly, my mathematical content has diminished drastically. The Maths test that I sat for reinforced my suspicion, that I'm not as good as I thought. And my English? Well, all I can say is that I'm only proficient in one aspect: Grammar. I suck in other areas like reading, speaking, listening and vocabulary, which is basically everything that is covered in the English Language syllabus. Furthermore, I totally lack creativity. Don't expect to think of games or interesting lessons on my own. No wonder a couple of my ex-students complained that my lessons were boring then. I sincerely hope the money that I invested in those English Language books at Kinokuniya would prove useful.

Besides the lack of content knowledge, my character is proving a hindrance to my job too. I know some of my ex-students perceive me as cold. It takes a long time for me to warm up to my students and show any genuine concern for them. And even when I am truely concerned, I find it hard to express myself and show it outrightly. Maybe right now, it's because I do not have 100% passion in my job. Perhaps it will get better when the actual teaching begins.

4 more weeks before practicum. Although it's the holidays now, I think it's the best time for me to read up and plan ahead. A new friend has inspired me a great deal. She has brains and character. I'm always in awe of intelligent people because I'm hardly one myself. For a start, I really should pick up a something besides the newspapers to read. Just realised that this course requires minimum reading. No wonder I feel that I've become very shallow over the past few months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home