Swiss Miss scales the Swiss Alps

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Closure..

Had my last lesson with my Maths class today. Ironically it was the first time that I tried out group work with this rather noisy class and surprisingly it worked rather well. Perhaps it was the Ferrero Roche that got them motivated to solve the questions as quickly as possible. Oh well, whatever it is, I gave a grand speech five minutes before the end of the lesson. The gist of it was that I had an enjoyable time teaching this class despite the constant reminders for them to keep their noise level down. I was touched when some of them shouted "Cher, we love you" and "Happy Teacher's Day (in advance)". As a token of my appreciation, I gave each of them a packet of Oreo. It was then that one of the rather rebellious female student came up to me and said, "Teacher, you are very sweet." It's moments like these that make my job rewarding and propel me to continue in this profession. Oh yah, a couple of students that I least expected even asked for my MSN.

I can't say the same thing about my English class though. My relationship with this class soured drastically since my supervisor's first visit. The entire class turned against me when they knew that I was being assessed. I've never felt so well-hated in my entire life. I was totally shattered at the end of the lesson. I admit that uptil now, I bear a grudge on them. To put in fairly, I think I put in more effort planning my English lessons rather than Maths lessons. In return, all I got from the majority of the English class was unappreciate remarks, arrogance and bad attitude. Things became so bad that we've been walking past without greeting or acknowledging one another.

My practicum will be drawing to a close in two days time. It has been a learning experience and I realise I still have lots of areas to improve on, such as classroom management and rapport building with the class. I finally understand my HOD's words "Having a social life is important in this profession," which he told me at the beginning of my practicum. I was wondering why in the world was he telling me that. Do I really look so anti-social? Anyway, time really flies when there's something to look forward to during the weekends. I hate to admit this but at times, by mid-week I'm already in a weekend mood. Oh well, I'm human after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home