Swiss Miss scales the Swiss Alps

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Monday, September 18, 2006

After Practicum..

I've been asked to update my blog more regularly. I was 'missing' for the past 2 months or so because of my practicum. There was simply no time to blog when you are bogged down with the numerous lesson plans to write. Besides that, I wasn't in the mood to do so. Yes, the practicum wasn't as smooth-sailing as I expected. I learnt that having so called 'better' schools doesn't imply that it is easier to teach. I take back what I said during my teaching interview. Every school has its own sets of problems. Let's just say some are worse than the other. There was a period of time when I felt really down. It seems that no matter what and how I try, the students of a particular class were not appreciative. It came to a point where I practically gave up and just entered the classroom and went through the motions. I'm glad that my other class was slightly better. They may be noisy, less academically-inclined but at least they have a heart. No point being so freaking smart when you are downright selfish and unappreciative.

As the weeks progressed, I slowly adjusted my expectations for the students. A bit of noise in the classroom was inevitable. Expecting 100% silence for more than 10 minutes is really out of the question. And ironically, the lesson plans that I came up with were stifling me. After a while, I gave up doing detailed lesson plans. Having a superb lesson plan is certainly not equivalent to a successful lesson. So I just stuck to brief lesson plans which gave me a rough outline on how the lesson would progress.

Upon return to NIE, I felt more relieved when I realised I wasn't the only person facing problems teaching. The main problems are classroom management and motivating the kids to study. There's only so much the books and teachers can equip us with. Suddenly, the 2 hour lessons that I've to attend feels like a drag and chore. This wasn't so before practicum. It's just that after practicum, you realise that theories and reflections are really redundant. The tutors and lecturers come up with the best possible ways to teach but seriously when you enter a class of 40 with diverse abilities and backgrounds, you realise that many things are not going to work. A lot of trial and error are needed before we can find the best possible way to engage the kids. Gone are the days where kids will obediently sit at the desks and do what their teachers tell them to do. I really can't wait for the day where the class size is reduced.

While undergoing my practicum, I'm grateful that I met someone. Although I hardly complain about my job to him, his companionship during weekends back then somehow took my mind off school and troubles. I just want to say a big "thank you" to this person, you know who you are :)

7 Comments:

  • At 5:19 AM, Blogger Cherub said…

    its alright. don't need to thank. :)

    HEEHEE.

     
  • At 6:10 AM, Blogger Benjamin Liang said…

    Wow...something brewing there?

     
  • At 5:43 AM, Blogger Cherub said…

    think harder.
    heehee
    :)

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger The Aspiring Chef said…

    Cherub, I think you are obviously enjoying the teasing a lot. Anyway, I think I've showed my appreciation towards you already!

    Jazzhomme, don't let your imagination run wild.

     
  • At 1:41 AM, Blogger Cherub said…

    wait. i don't get it.

    is the present meant as an appreciation or meant as a "3 mths earlier birthday gift"?

    there is difference, u know.

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger The Aspiring Chef said…

    What's the difference?

    The former should be more costly than the latter?

     
  • At 3:34 AM, Blogger Cherub said…

    ah nvm, u guys make up ur mind. such conflicts of interests.

    don't reply liao. tired.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home